Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Impalement & postponement of surgery

**WARNING - THIS BLOG ENTRY IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH**

Well, where do I begin. This weekend was absolutely horrible!!! I ended my last blog with the intention of having one last balls-to-the-wall weekend, but ended up spending a day in the hospital with the hubby and the rest of it desperately trying to catch up on rest as well as take care of him.

I guess I will start from the beginning. Shortly after my post on Friday about Jack Daniels I got a text from my future SIL Chelsie saying she finally got a job. Great! Then she told me it was from 3-11pm Friday thru Monday. WTF?! So basically I will hardly ever see her anymore, and our plans for the weekend were shot to hell. So I was pretty bummed, but just figured I could see her when she got off work and before she went in. So that was the first thing to "go wrong" this weekend. Little did I know Chelsie's work schedule would become the least of my worries.

Saturday morning my mom and I planned to go pillow shopping for her new couch. She was suppose to meet me at the house at 10am and we go to town from there. Well, I woke up at 9am to get ready, and the effing power was off. So I sat for 1 1/2hrs and just stared at the clock. I was SO PISSED!!! I hate when my time gets wasted, so I was pretty angry with the power company. During this time Ryan, who could find something to do in a tornado, decided to go outside and move some brush and dirt around in the back yard with a bobcat.

Well it finally came back on at 10:30 so I called my mom and told her, because it takes 30mins for her to get to my house, then I jumped in the shower. I had gotten dressed, put my makeup on, and dried my hair, and was fixing to put some clothes in the dryer, when the house phone rings. I looked at the caller id and it was Ryan, so I figured he wanted something to drink or something. I answered it and all he said was "Honey, call an ambulance or helicopter or something. I've lost a lot of blood. Bring a towel, I need you." (in a high pitched voice). So I tear out of the house with the phone in one hand and towel in the other and meet him at our building/shop outside. He had impaled himself with a tree branch on the bobcat and now had a gaping wound in his right knee with blood everywhere. So i immediately go into protective mode and started trying to clot the blood while talking to the 911 operator.

The ambulance got there FINALLY after 20 mins. My mom got there when everything was going down, as well as Ryan's dad, step-dad, papaw, and brother. They loaded me up in the front of the ambulance and Ryan in the back and transported us to the hospital. Once at the hospital they evaluated him and said he needed to go into surgery to see if his kneecap was still in align as well as the ligaments and muscles and to remove some splintered off pieces of wood and bark inside his leg. The branch was about 3 inches in diameter and went in and up towards his thigh about 5-6 inches. They had to put a drain tube in him, and stapled and stitched him up. They put his leg in an immobilizer cast and told him he couldn't put any weight on it. He had to undergo crutch training as well. They finally released us at 10:30pm on Saturday. I had to wait for an hour at Walgreens to get his pain medicine filled. We finally got home at around 12am on the 4th of July. It was after 1am before we got settled in and drifted off to sleep, only to wake up every 2-4 hours to either pee or take his medicine.

So, since Sunday he has been hardly moving around, mostly staying in bed. He is pitiful, and I know he is in so much pain. I feel so bad for him. I have been waiting on him hand and foot, making sure he is getting in his fluids and eating enough food. We were suppose to go to my parents on Sunday for a cookout, but they decided to come to our house. We invited Ryan's mom, brother, step-dad, and papaw over and had a multi-family dinner. It was so much fun. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family as well as in-law family. I love them so much!

So the events of the weekend have lead me to rehash my surgery. I am still 100% committed to getting surgery, but I feel that right now would not be the best time to have it, since Ryan is basically helpless. I don't want to put stress on him to take care of me when he can't take care of himself. Hopefully he will be off crutches soon. I am still going to continue with my appointments and stuff. Hopefully in a month he will be in better health.

So I end my post with some pretty gnarly pictures of his leg and one of the splinters - complete with horse hair on the end- as well as what it looks like stitched and stapled up, for your viewing pleasure.





1 comments:

Libby said...

Holy cow Amy! Some I missed your post in my reader! I am glad to hear that Ryan is OK and hope that he has a speedy recovery. I am bummed that you are putting surgery on a temporary hold I hope you get it on the books soon! Keep me posted on Ryan's recovery!

Post a Comment