Monday, May 24, 2010

OMG this is really happening!

I have to admit I am a pessimist. I rarely ever see the glass as half full, and I am quick to assume the worst in most scenarios. I have been skeptical that I would even be able to have this surgery from the get-go, thinking that I will never receive this wonderful gift of surgery. But I have to admit that slowly, very slowly, I am starting to come around. I am starting to see the good in everything that happens, versus the bad. It has really changed my outlook on life. I feel more like the "old Amy" that I was when my hubby and I met - and I love it!

Well on Friday I went to my newly established PCP and he was delighted to hear about my WLS, which put me at ease, because my previous PCP was an asshole. He said he would be more than happy to write me a letter, but needed to get to know more about me first (which I liked) and ordered that I have my blood work done. He said that if I have high cholesterol then he can put it in my letter, along with my risk factors for developing diabetes, which I am assuming are pretty freaking high right now. When the appointment was over, I went to check out and make my follow up appointments for the lab work consultation and to get my letter. Well, I go tomorrow to get my blood drawn, but I have to wait until late June to get my letter and see what was in my labs. I have to admit, my old pessimistic ways started creeping back up and I was getting frustrated. I calmly explained to the receptionist that I was trying to coordinate a WLS into my schedule and if I could get in any earlier I would appreciate it, so she put me down for June 17th. Not great, but not bad either. I'll take it and be happy about it.

Not much happened over the weekend, just cleaned and watched movies (along with my exercising). Sunday night right when I was going to lay down for the night Ryan sliced a huge chunk of skin from his right index finger, up close to the nail. Having the husband that I have, I always keep a supply of first aid supplies on hand, because you just never know what he will do next. So I cleaned his wounds and gauzed him up (I have always been pretty good w/ medical and first aid) then tried to lay back down, but I had so much adrenaline from the rush of his injury that I just tossed and turned all night! I finally was able to go to bed around 2ish, only to wake up at 6:15. Ugh.

This week is a 4 day work week, then a 4 day weekend, and another 4 day work week, so YAY! That news gives me something to look forward to and keep pushing through, even though I am wore-smack-out. Also, I got a call today from a Karen at Memorial Hospital (where I am having my surgery) wanting to set up some appointments with me. I was in shock! I got through the phone call, but as soon as she hung up I felt like I could bounce off the freaking walls! OMG this is really happening! I am really moving along, completing my requirements like they are nothing. The feeling of accomplishment is so grand. I just love it.

I ended up setting up my psychiatric evaluation along with my nutritional class. My psych eval is on June 14th, and class is on June 15th. The class is a 1/2 day class from 8a-11a. I am so excited. I just can't wait!

2 comments:

Libby said...

Awesome! Maybe we will get to be surgery buddies and we can treat ourselves to a cruise next year!!! Leave the hubbies at home!

.:Amy:. said...

Heck yeah!

Post a Comment