Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Life Lessons 101: Follow-Through and PCP

Life lesson number 1: follow-through. If there is one thing I have learned during my short time as an adult and being responsible for my safety and well-being, it is to follow through. I cannot stress how important it is for anyone no matter the situation. Take my experience today, for example.

After 8 agonizing days of waiting to hear from the surgeon's office on what UHC says about my coverage and requirements for surgery, I decided to call them. I really was hoping they would call me because I didn't want to seem like a "pusher" but I broke down and gave them a ring. I'm so glad I did because of course they were needing information from me and hadn't called yet to get it. No telling when/if they had it on their schedule anyway!

I talked to Nurse Judy, Dr. Rutledge's main RN. She got my file and verified that they had contacted UHC for my requirements. They are:
  • At least 1 co-morbidity
  • BMI of 35+ w/ 2 co-morbidities or BMI of 40+
  • 5 years medical history
  • Letter of necessity

Pretty simple, right? WRONG! I have only been an adult for 5 years, and I NEVER go to a doctor, unless I'm dying, then its off to the ER. The only doctor I have seen since 2005 is my OBGYN, and that's only been once a year since 2005. IDK if it will suffice. If it doesn't I guess I am going to have to call the local hospital and get my ER records. My history is going to be so blotchy and pieced together the UHC people are going to laugh their asses off!

Life lesson number 2: establish a primary care physician early and visit them on a regular basis. I always thought, oh I'm not sick, I don't need a doctor. That statement couldn't be more wrong, as noted in my woes above.

Anyway, as I was following through with Judy about my requirements I asked her for the 3rd time about a pre-op diet. I received the same answer, which frustrates me, 'I'm not sure. It's usually standard practice for UHC patients to go on a diet, so I'm going to say 'yes.'" I explained to her for the 3rd time that I had already called UHC and specifically asked them and they told me 'no' but I wanted the doctors office (i.e. THEM) to verify it with UHC. Why is that so hard? Its a simple question with a simple answer. I'm starting to get worried that my current records will not work and that IF i do have to do this stupid diet, I need to get started on it because I am wasting time!!

I ended the call feeling more shaky and nervous than before I called. I guess I am just in the freak-out stage right now, because everything that happens seems to freak me out more and more. I'm going to quote one of my favorite characters, Donkey from Shrek, "I'm a donkey on the edge!!!" I think I need to just calm down and let things happen the way they are supposed to happen. I've been trying really hard not to get stressed out and anxious over everything. When I stress and have anxiety, my mouth turns into a bottomless pit. I start eating to distract myself. I have got to keep my chin up and be calm!

Just be kewl.

1 comments:

Libby said...

Did you get your pre-approval letter from UHC? I would call specifically UHC's Bariatric Resource Services 1-888-936-7246 and ask just make sure you have your member number. Besides my one bad experience with a specific person I have found them very helpful and so far they have not told me anything incorrect as far as my policy is concerned.

You might consider going to you PCP now while you are waiting. It certainly won't hurt and then you will have all your records from 5 years ago and now. My surgeon's office wanted me to visit my PCP within the last year or they would have sent me there anyways for a check up.

Post a Comment